Plan on selling your vintage tee? Use our consignment program and keep up to 80% of the profit!

Learn more: www.defunkd.com/vintage-t-shirt-consignment-program
Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
ka_turnz

BOY shirt info & appraisal

Post by ka_turnz »

Hi,
I picked up this shirt but can not find any info online about it. I am thinking it is a U2 Boy album promo from 1980-81. It is double stitched all over. The tag has no place of manufacture. Faded navy blue.
To the thatcherites racists, mysogynists televangelists would be rambos, war planners and america firsters we say the future is not yours. because we see the potential for a different future, we will refuse and resist
To the thatcherites racists, mysogynists televangelists would be rambos, war planners and america firsters we say the future is not yours. because we see the potential for a different future, we will refuse and resist
Has anyone seen this before? Unfortunately previous owner tumble dried it many times & it has lost it’s original shape but I think I can get it close to original shape by lying flat while wet. Any info is much appreciated!
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: BOY shirt info & appraisal

Post by jimmyj »

Not U2 related, it's BOY aka BOY London....from King's road.

Potentially still from the 1980s since double-stitching was a thing in Europe.

I have some BOY stuff from the mid 90s, when it was branded on the tags, so this def. predates that. Thatcher lasted until 90, so likely before then and she was PM all through the 80s.

I reached out a contact of mine who will have a better idea of the timeline/significance/value.

Cheers
Jimmy J

(Please note: Legit checks I do in this forum should not be considered 100% conclusive; I'm simply giving a gut reaction based on the limited information provided.)

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

He replied not fully sure either and was going to reach out to a contact he had with BOY.

Also, decent chance it could be a bootleg BOY item as well.
Jimmy J

(Please note: Legit checks I do in this forum should not be considered 100% conclusive; I'm simply giving a gut reaction based on the limited information provided.)

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I personally reached out to him, he just responded, we shall see!
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Ok so the gent I talked to named Dave Edmond, was super helpful, here's his take:

"Hi. I don't recognize this at all. I'd say it was probably some type of bootleg - or maybe something made under license somewhere. Its definitely 100% not a 1970's or 1980's print that was sold in London Kings Road BOY shop."

I asked about branded BOY tags he said:

"They usually had a BOY label on the inside neck - where that Large label is. For a period they were sticky adhesive labels - not stitched - so a lot of them disappeared (faded, fell off) from washing"

and he gave me the contact of another gent who may be able to help. Reaching out to him now.
Jimmy J

ka_turnz

Post by ka_turnz »

WOW! very much appreciated. I found an 90s BOY shirt with the same neck tag as mine that is single single. The font of Boy is much wider. here it is on Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1635883566 ... la=1&gao=1&

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

The second chap didn't have any more to offer, but yeah, it's very cool, vintage but not an original BOY product, but awesome nonetheless!
Jimmy J

ka_turnz

Post by ka_turnz »

thanks for the info!